Sometimes the court does not give a final judgment regarding the case. The person is put on probation or on a program or community service without an adjudication of guilt. If the person complies then the case may be dismissed. However this depends on the law of the particular county or state. If the law of the state does not permit dismissal the disposition remains adjudication withheld. If the person does not complete the terms of probation, a finding of guilty may be entered and the person may be sentenced according to the punishments defined for the offense. If the person successfully completes the terms of probation and has no subsequent offenses, no further action will be taken on the case and the offense for which adjudication was withheld is typically not considered a prior conviction for purposes of habitual offender sentencing.